Masters Swimming Club
The Coelacanth MSC (Masters Swimming Club) was founded in 1996 and its constitution adopted in November 1996. The Club is affiliated to and obeys the rules and regulations of Swimming South Africa (SSA), South African Masters Swimming (SAMS) and Tshwane Masters Swimming (TMS).
The club is fast growing with some 120 members at present. The club takes pride in promoting swimming for health, fun and fitness in the friendliest and most hospitable manner possible (“It is not about winning but about participation”). The club is also very proud of its considerable number of members who have achieved world masters rankings, broken SA masters records and who have been awarded SAMS colours.
In order to encourage the participation of all population groups in masters swimming, the club offers free coaching to previously disadvantaged adults as well as offering, when possible, sponsorship of registration fees and gala participation costs.
Club members meet monthly at Royal Fins. 617 Plettenberg St, Faerie Glen, Hillcrest, Pretoria, for coaching and training. Also, club events are held monthly. Apart from enjoying competitive pool swimming the club actively participates in various open water swims that are held in various parts of the country.
- The Coelacanth’s MSC has enjoyed great success, particularly over the past few seasons. The club has been so successful, winning the national cup 7 times.
Our motto is “Ancient but not Extinct” so, if you are 18 years or older, now is the time to join us and have lots of fun, meet new friends and keep fit.
What age do I need to be in order to take part?
- 18 Years or older
Would I have the opportunity of competing in swim meets?
- Masters swimming strikes a healthy balance between fitness, fun, and competition. Galas are held in Pretoria and Johannesburg.
- We meet monthly at Royal fins. 617 Plettenberg St, Faerie Glen.
- Every month we have a “bring and braai”. This is well attended, and great fun is had by all.
- Updates on upcoming events and dam swims are circulated.
- We send a large team to SA Masters Champs every year. The club has been so successful, winning the national cup 7 times.
- We have over 120 members. Members may live anywhere. Age categories are split into 5yr groups ranging from 18-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc. There is no maximum age limit.
- We are active in open water swimming as well.
How do I join Coelacanth Masters swimming club?
Contact: Joyce Fyfe
Cell no: 0847451560